My dad passed away from colon cancer on November 17, 2011. He was on his way to visit my uncle in California when he fell into an everlasting sleep on the train. It has taken me a while to be able to write this post. I loved Iran Milo Wasson with all my heart. He was a very loving, kind and generous man. If my children grow up to be half as loving as he was then they will have wonderful lives. Before he died my dad wrote these words to be read at his memorial I hope you enjoy them and can get a sense of the kind of person he was.
Poppa said no crying. “Celebrate and be glad we had this time together. Everybody has to cross over to the other side eventually. Just stick around your time will come. Prayerfully it will come quietly and swiftly without a lot of illness that fosters a broken down existence. then take the family and go to the buffet. Celebrate, no drinking, smoking weed. It not that kind of party folks. Find something to be happy about. Rejoice in the company of one another. Be good to yourselves and try to be good to someone else. Shed your tears and when you are done laugh out loud. Love Poppa.”
Feb. 16th 2013
Not a day goes by that I don’t think about him. I have even saved the last few text he sent me on my phone. I read them every so often as if he is still on the train to California. I can’t believe it has almost been two years since he passed. I shall remember and love him always. I wouldn’t be the woman I am today if it werent for him. I often wonder what I could have done differently, said differently to make things turn out better. I know I could not but it still hurts just the same.
- Call for Nominations: PCC Seeks to Recognize Champions of Colon Cancer Prevention (prweb.com)
- My Wonderful Dad (poemsbyclarabelle.wordpress.com)
- Can a new vaccine prevent colon cancer? (futurity.org)
- Iowa Promotes Colon Cancer Awareness with Coasters (kcrg.com)
- Smoking Increases Colon Cancer Risk (everydayhealth.com)
- Should Chocolate Be Added to the Colon Cancer Prevention Diet? Recent Study Says Yes (berries.com)