1.When did you first begin writing?
A. I began to writing when I was 12 years old.
2. Who are your inspirations?
A. My daughter, E. Lynn Harris and Doris A.C Johnson.
3. What are your writing habits? Do you write a certain amount of pages per day? Do you write at a certain time of day?
A. Yes I try to write at least 30 pages a day. I usually write early in the morning to mid-afternoon.. Then sometimes late at night when it is quiet.
Wow, you write fast. How long does it take you to complete a book?
It takes me a couple of months to complete a book (editing and proof reading). The book I just finished writing goes with the first book (You wouldn’t want to be in my shoes). So I have combined both books.
4. Are you a pantster or plotter? Do you sit down at the computer and let your story lead you where it wants to go, or do you outline every twist of the plot?
A. Neither one I sit down and do all of my writing by hand. Then I type it into the computer.
5. Who are your favorite authors, and what are you reading now?
A. I have several favorite authors. Myself of course D.D Brantley, Doris A.C Johnson, E Lynn Harris.
6. What are your goals as a writer?
A. For my book to become a bestseller. As well as turn my book into a stage play.
7. If you had one wish for your writing career what would it be?
A. To see my work on the big screen.
8. What advice would you give other aspiring writers?
A. Keep working at it. Never give up.
9. Why did you choose to self publish versus traditional publishing?
A. I did neither I publish what they call print on demand.
10. Do you have an agent?
A. As of right now I do not. But I’m always looking for someone who is going to help me and not hurt me.
11. Will you consider a traditional publisher in the future? Why or Why Not?
A. Yes definitely in the future. Once my name is more established.
12. Please tell our readers who D.D Brantley the author and the person is? Is there anything that you would like people to know about you?
A. Wow ok lets see… I am a humble person. I have a full life. I am a mother of a severely handicap daughter. I love my quiet time so I can put my thoughts to pen and paper. But more importantly I love spending time with my family and friends.
13. Have you ever won any awards for your writing? If so please elaborate.
A. No not yet.
14. Where can someone purchase your books?
A. My book is a print on demand. You can go to http://www.authorhouse.com (that is who I am published with) or http://www.barnesandnoble.com as well as http://www.amazon.com. If you prefer not to order online you can go into any Barnes and Noble. They would be more then happy to order it for you.
15. How do you promote your books? Do you have a platform for promotion?
A. Promoting my book I do by word of mouth. I do mass e-mails through my yahoo address. As well as Myspace. I also post fliers.
16. Do you belong to any writing associations?
A. Yes I belong to Motown writers network.
17. Please tell our readers about your book "You Wouldn’t Want To Be In My Shoes"
A. It is about the drama of one family. All of their ups and downs. That is all I am going to tell you. You have to buy the book to find out the rest.
18.What are you working on now?
A. I have several projects going on. I am writing another book as well as a stage play.
(Since our interview, Ms. Brantley suffered the untimely death of her only daughter. She and her family are in our prayers. )