This is your place to learn about new and aspiring authors and their books. I’ll also give you a sneak peek at my poetry, short stories and other works in progress.
This weeks our featured author is poet Crista Jensen. Crista is a wife and mother of three beautiful children. She also works full time as a Registered Respiratory Therapist in Atlanta, GA. I have known Crista for many years and it is my pleasure to introduce her to you.
1. When did you first begin writing?
I began writing as a child. It started with journaling and then progressed to poetry and then an occasional short story. I remember winning a poetry contest in the 2nd grade! It was exciting.
2. Who are your inspirations?
I’m inspired by other poets like Maya Angelou and Langston Hughes. Overall, I find myself inspired when I hear others dropping their own verses. Also, I’m inspired by life itself. When I see people interacting with one another I become inspired also.
3. What are your writing habits? Do you write a certain amount of pages per day? Do you write at a certain time of day?
Since my writing is part time, I do not write everyday currently. Sometimes life gets in the way when we don’t want it too. Usually my writing will encompass a project and then I’ll find myself writing at all times of the day and night. You have to strike while the iron is hot. When it’s fresh, it’s best.
4. Are you a pantster or a plotter? Do you sit down at the computer and let your story lead you where it wants to go or do you outline every twist and plot point?
I am not a plotter unfortunately. I wish I could do that. I’m just not very good at it. Usually when I write a story or poem I let the story lead the way.
5. Who are your favorite authors and what are you reading now?
My favorite authors are Langston Hughes and Maya Angelou. Currently I’m reading a collection of poems called “Shades of Love”. It’s not published yet but I’m totally enjoying it. My husband is the author. Richard Jensen.
6. What are your goals as a writer?
My goals as an author are really to just enjoy the stories as they come to me. I’m not attempting to make money by writing. I use my writing to de-stress and when I have a great collection I publish it.
7. If you had one wish for your writing career what would it be?
One wish…good question…I suppose that I would just wish that all who read my writing are inspired to follow their own dreams after reading it.
8. What advice would you give other aspiring writers?
Write, write and write….but enjoy it. Don’t make it a job. When you enjoy what you’re doing, it isn’t work.
9. Why did you choose to self publish versus traditional publishing?
I self publish because again I wasn’t trying to be picked up by a company. I can make the work look exactly as I want it to. I can make the work completely my own without the influence of others.
10. Do you have an agent?
No, I don’t have an agent but if I need one I’m sure they’ll find me.
11. Will you consider a traditional publisher in the future? Why or why not?
Sure I’d consider one. If the need arises I’d be glad to use one. I just haven’t needed one yet.
12. Please tell our readers who Crista Jensen the author and the person is? Is there anything that you would like people to know about you?
Crista Jensen is the same in author and person. I don’t think you can separate the two. My poetry comes from my innermost thoughts. It’s not a separate person. It is still me. No different than anyone else’s profession.
13. Have you ever won any awards for your writing? If so please elaborate.
No awards as of yet but my books are sold as people refer them to me. So I just direct people to http://www.lulu.com to find my books. Maybe a few more readers will produce an award, but I don’t need one to feel accomplished.
14. How do you promote your books? Do you have a platform (website, blog, twitter); which many writers find necessary due to the economy and the fact that many publishing houses have put the task of promoting books onto the shoulders and pockets of the authors?
To promote my books I participate in different programs that I’m invited to and also I participate in open mics with my poetry.
15. Do you belong to any writing associations?
I do not currently belong to any writing associations.
16. Please tell our readers about your book.
I’ve completed 2 poetry books that are available for purchase. “The Sweet Seven” speaks about seven different love emotions and how they are dealt with via poetry. It is a very popular book. The second book is entitled “Emotionally Naked” it is another poetry book that deals with all types of emotions without regard to being politically correct. It was just released this month. It was completed last year.
17. Where can someone purchase your books?
18. What are you working on now?
Currently I’m working on a poetry book that I’m dedicating to my unborn daughter. She’s due in March. It is currently untitled.
Since our original interview, Mrs. Jensen gave birth to a healthy baby girl. I’d like to congratulate Authors Crista and Richard Jensen on the birth of their daughter Rainah Arielle Jensen. Both mother and baby are doing well. Mrs. Jensen’s books can be purchased at www.LULU.com.
If you would like to be featured on Lexi Flint’s Author Alcove please contact me at AWF131@yahoo.com
Or DM me at http://twitter.com/LexiFlint and you can be our next featured author. Until next time, happy writing and may the muse be with you always.